Sat 10 Oct 2015

North Walsham RFC
Barking RFC

North Walsham kept their line intact in an eight try romp against barking at Scottow on Saturday, with the scoring being equally divided between forwards and backs.

The Vikings were slow to settle in a disjointed first quarter with no one seeming to jump in the lineouts and two early scrums lost on their own put in. However captain Tom Williams set Jon Younie away to link with Chris Godwin resulting in a touchdown for lock Jono Lawson with Matt Hodgson failing to convert. Barking’s Ben Lloyd struck a penalty but that was the last time the visitors would move the scoreboard. Will Hodgson made a break to halfway before Wayne Williams ran full tilt into his opposite number Kane Bennett, resulting in a seven minute delay until he was stretchered from the field in a neck brace. Happily he was back on his feet on the touchline by half time.
Still misfiring Walsham conceded several penalties in a disjointed display, before Ryan Oakes began to glean lineout ball and Matt Hodges settled things down with a penalty when Barking came off side in front of the posts. A rolling maul ended with a try for Wayne Williams just after the half hour and Tim Weber replaced Tom Browes at tight head.

Barking skipper Nathan Barham was in the sin bin when Wayne Williams went over for his second again converted by Matt Hodgson. The outside half then sprinted from his own 22 to score the fourth try which he then converted. With the bonus point secured the Vikings went into the break 27-3 to the good.

The second half started with Greg Kirkham on at scrum half in place of Tom Lomax and Tom Coller came into the second row as the Hodgson brothers continued to let rip with line breaks. Chris Godwin was next to cross the whitewash before full back Freddie Henley- Hunter hobbled off and Tom Lomax returned as his replacement.

A period of stalemate followed with neither side able to string any phases together although Aki Downing was making inroads with some good carries. Will Hodgson made the sixth touchdown after a 30 metre solo dash, his brother’s conversion attempt coming back off the upright. Matt then sent Will away for his second try this time making the conversion count and then rounded of a fine performance with a 40 meter break to put Lomax in for his first senior try. Coach Nick Greenhall was pleased with his side’s discipline and all round display and at half time had challenged them to reach 50 points which they duly achieved. The Chalk Hill Brewery man of the Match award went jointly to the Hodgson brothers.

Team: 15. F.Henley-Hunter. 14.E.Benney. 13 M.Braans. 12. W.Hodgson. 11. J.Younie.10 M.Hodgson. 9 T.Lomax (G.Kirkham) 1. A.Downing. 2.M.Oakes.3.T.Browes. (T.Weber) 4. R.Oakes 5. J.Lawson (T.Coller) 6. W.Williams 7. C.Godwin. 8. T.Williams
Scorers: Tries. W.Williams 2. W.Hodgson 2. C.Godwin.J.Lawson. M.Hodgson T.Lomax.
Conversions: M.Hodgson 4 Penalty M.Hodgson.

Referee. M. Dickens – London Society